Biology Education, Master of Science (M.S.)
The Biological Sciences graduate program is for students interested in broadening their knowledge in biology and education. Students will complete coursework in professional education and biology. The program is designed flexibly to allow students, with their advisors, to mold and focus their program of study on professional interests and specific needs. To do this, students can draw from a broad range of graduate courses and select from a diverse and well-trained faculty for direction in research.
- Approximately 35 graduate teaching assistantships (TA) are available each year to qualified applicants.
- Focuses on developing both biology content and pedagogical content knowledge.
- Supports students with biology backgrounds as they pursue careers in education.
- Students who engage in this program will be well-equipped to enter academic positions with an emphasis on teaching in biological sciences.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in biology or a closely related discipline and a minimum GPA of 3.0 OR
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a different discipline, but completion of one year of general biology for majors and one course at the 200-level or above in genetics, ecology, cell biology, microbiology, and physiology with a minimum GPA of 3.0 OR
- GRE biology subject score at or above the 70th percentile OR
- Be considered on a case-by-case basis with support from a graduate faculty member in the department of Biological Sciences.
- Personal essay identifying your career goals, your research interests, and identifying the faculty member(s) with whom you are most interested in pursuing a thesis research project.
Additional Requirements for International Applicants:
- TOEFL ibt scores sent directly to University Admissions using code 6677. Minimum score requirements:
- 26 in the speaking component
- 24 in the writing component
- 22 in the reading component
- 22 in the listening component
- Credential Evaluation prepared by a National Association of Credentials Evaluation Service member
|U.S. Citizens||International Applicants|
|Fall Start||Rolling||May 1|
|Spring Start||Rolling||October 1|
Time to Completion: 3 years