Advanced Dental Therapy, Master of Science (M.S.)
The Master of Science in Advanced Dental Therapy program offered by Minnesota State University, Mankato educates and prepares licensed dental hygienists for roles working as mid-level dental practitioners, or dental therapists.
- The Master of Science in Advanced Dental Therapy Program at Minnesota State University, Mankato is approved by the Minnesota Board of Dentistry.
- Minnesota State University, Mankato is the only institution offering the degree in Greater Minnesota and is one of only three similar programs in the state.
- The program is structured to run Tuesday through Friday, allowing the students to work under their license as a dental hygienist on Mondays/weekends if they so choose to.
- More affordable than similar programs.
- The program will provide licensed dental hygienists with a baccalaureate degree the theoretical and applied skills required to be eligible for licensure as a dental therapist and credentialing as an advanced dental therapist in the state of MN.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited university
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher based on undergraduate coursework
- A current Minnesota dental hygiene license without encumbrance, including nitrous oxide and local anesthesia certifications (out-of-state applicants are encouraged to apply but must attain a Minnesota license prior to enrollment).
- Completed or in progress DHYG 440 Restorative Functions or equivalent training/education.
- Evidence of current dental hygiene professional liability insurance.
- Evidence of required immunizations, current CPR certification, HIPAA training.
- The ideal candidate will have accumulated a minimum of 1,000 hours of clinical dental hygiene experience as a licensed dental hygienist. However, new graduates of dental hygiene programs are encouraged to apply. Please contact the Graduate Coordinator at MSADTinfo@mnsu.edu to discuss your specific circumstance.
- A Personal statement describing your reasons for wanting to pursue the MS in Advanced Dental Therapy degree and why you desire to become an advanced dental therapist. Limit your statement to 500 words.
- A Diversity statement explaining your experiences and commitments to diversity. Your statement should be 750-1000 words in length. Four areas that might be included in a diversity statement are:
- Your values related to diversity
- Your experiences interacting with diverse populations
- Your future plans related to inclusivity
- Adversity you have witnessed or personally encountered
Additional Requirements for International Applicants:
- Minimum TOEFL iBT score of 61 or a minimum IELTS score of 5.5
- Credential Evaluation prepared by a National Association of Credentials Evaluation Service member.
|U.S. Based Applicants
Time to Completion:
The program is currently being restructured. Please contact the Graduate Coordinator to discuss planned changes including program length and start date.