Creative Writing, Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.)
The MFA program in creative writing at Minnesota State Mankato serves exceptionally talented graduate students from around the country—and even the world—developing their work in the genres of fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry.
- Candidates in the program will find it appropriate training for careers in freelance writing, college-level teaching, editing and publishing, arts administration, and several other areas.
- Students are eligible for teaching or graduate assistantships in the English Department or graduate assistantships elsewhere in the university.
- Students have the opportunity to grow within a rich and active community of writers, in activities such as the Good Thunder Reading Series and the Writers Bloc Open Reading Series.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university with a recommended 18 semester credits in literature, writing, and/or linguistics.
- A writing sample consisting of 10 pages of poetry, or 20 pages of prose (with a short explanation if an excerpt).
- A one to two-page personal statement describing your background in writing and your interest in working in a graduate creative writing program.
Additional Requirements for International Applicants:
- Minimum TOEFL iBT score of 80 or a minimum IELTS score of 6.5
- Credential Evaluation prepared by a National Association of Credentials Evaluation Service member.
Optional materials include:
- Application for a Graduate Assistant position
|U.S. Based Applicants
Time to Completion: 3 years