Music, Master of Music (M.M.)
The Master of Music degree is a professional degree, most appropriate for students who desire to increase their knowledge as public school teachers, to teach at the college level, or to work toward their doctorate. It is also a degree useful for those who perform professionally, compose, or conduct. The Master of Music is offered in four areas of specialization: Piano Performance, Choral Conducting, Wind Band Conducting, and Music Education.
- All classes are taught by university faculty.
- Assistantships may be available.
- The program is right sized to maximize the student experience so that students receive maximum time and mentoring from faculty.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
- A personal statement indicating why you are pursuing this degree, why you believe you will be successful completing it, and your career goals after completing it.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your experience in music.
- For the MM in Piano Performance, an audition is required: prepare a minimum of three contrasting works from different historical periods. Must include a complete sonata and a virtuosic work from any historical period. A live audition is preferable, but video audition is acceptable.
- For the MM in Choral and Wind Band Conducting, video recordings are required: 3-5 minutes in rehearsal and 3-5 minutes in performance. Both videos should show the conductor from the front view.
- For the MM in Music Education, video recordings are required: 5-10 minutes (front view) in rehearsal or teaching. If you are not currently working in the classroom, a mock lesson taught for the camera is acceptable.
Additional Requirements for International Applicants:
- TOEFL results of 61 or IELTS results of 5.5 on the academic administration of the IELTS.
- Credential Evaluation prepared by a National Association of Credentials Evaluation Service member
|U.S. Based Applicants
Time to Completion: 2 years