Theatre and Dance, Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.)
The Department of Theatre and Dance is dedicated to two primary goals. The first is to provide students with high caliber training in theatre and dance that prepares them to create theatre of any kind at any level. The second is to provide Southern Minnesota with a multifaceted, high quality theatrical experience. These goals interweave to provide entertainment and education to those on both sides of the curtain.
- Minnesota State Mankato presents five major theatrical productions in its Mainstage Season, four fully mounted productions in our Studio Season (usually directed by MFA students), two dance concerts, one children's theatre tour and up to 20 minor offerings each year.
- Highland Summer Theatre is MSU's non-equity professional summer stock theatre consisting of two productions presented within a nine-week period.
- The MFA degree consists of 60 credit hours and requires a three-year residence (not including summers). An internship and written thesis is required.
- Approximately 16 graduate assistantships are available each year.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university
- Academic writing sample
- Three letters of recommendation
- Audition video (for Acting, Dance, Directing, and Musical Theatre applicants)
- Portfolio (for Costume Design, Lighting Design, Scene Design, Sound Design, and Technical Direction applicants)
Additional Requirements for International Applicants:
- Minimum TOEFL iBT score of 80 or a minimum IELTS score of 6.5
- Credential Evaluation prepared by a National Association of Credentials Evaluation Service member.
|U.S. Based Applicants
Time to Completion: 3 years